Translate

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Two Very Different Gardens


Two Very Different Gardens







One In Lemnos











And One In Melbourne

Birds

I have a birdbath in Lemnos where in summer two doves come to bathe, or a squad of sparrow comes to drink. In spring and autumn there is more variety as robins and tits of various kinds pass by the island. 

Sparrows in Lemnos
Here in Australia the birds are very different. They are larger and often more colorful. They are also noisy and squawk or scream. The Kookaburra laughs. On my feeder the regulars are red Rosellas and bright green and red King Parrots. And in the garden at various times are white Cockatoos and Kookaburras. 

I need to screen the bird table so that the larger birds, the Cockatoos do not come to eat there. In fact I often go out and drive them away, as they are very destructive. If encouraged Cockatoos will arrive in flocks and peck the wood of windows and the balconies.

The Australian Kookaburra, or laughing Jackass, is a member of the Kingfisher family. They are found throughout Australia. They are called Laughing Jackasses as they it is their habit to start the day with peals of laughter. They live in pairs and have 2 or 3 young each year.

An Australian King Parrot
Bright Birds

Birds come the feeder,
Red headed, green winged;
Squawking and chirping,
Beautiful, demanding.

I look at their colors
They catch my attention.
They’ll tap on the window
‘Give me seed, give it now’.

And I feed them.
I could retire from fashion
But even at seventy
I like to be seen.

And so I wear colors,
Dress like a peacock.
This way I’ll be noticed.
It’s not too late to be seen.

julia catton

Have you looked at the blog called Advanced Style <advancedstyle.com>. I love looking at it. These are all gutsy ladies over 60 who have very individual styles of dressing. And I just noticed that the film made about these ladies is showing in Melbourne. I must make time to go and see it.

Flowers
In Lemnos the flowers are hardy and in summer they are very colorful. There are Zinnias, Marigolds and Lantanas in my borders that keep going all summer. (Zinnias need some watering but not the marigolds and lantanas.) In spring there is more variety. When we arrive the roses are in bloom, nasturtiums and lavender but mid summer is too hot for them.
 

Though I do have nasturtiums in both gardens.

In this garden when we arrive the spring blooms are finishing. I will have missed the blossom, and the bulbs, and almost missed the peonies. But to my joy a few azaleas and rhododendrons are still in bloom, and the guilder rose (pom-pom bush) is full on. There are foxgloves in the borders and the roses and salvias are just coming out. 
 


A Garden: a living art object.

 
A garden is a transient ‘art object’. It is a living thing that changes all the time, and as a gardener you are forever trying to keep up with it.

‘The spring flowers are looking a bit dull as their leaves die down. I should plant something next to them that is starting to come to life as they loose color.’

‘That plant is too large for the front of the border. I must move it soon. Before its too hot and then I’ll have to wait for autumn to do it.’

Just now my Australian garden is lush with plenty of new growth and weeds and from now on though the flowers have to cope with Melbourne late spring weather building up to summer heat. By that I mean VERY changeable. It can be 15 one day and 32 the next! It can also be VERY windy.

So you will see me picking my days to go out and do some gardening, weeding after the rain, and picking up leave litter after a wind. And when it’s perfect I’ll go out and plant or transplant and for a short while think that I have it all under control!


 







No comments:

Post a Comment